Friday, August 15, 2008

Friday Foto Finish Fiesta - 1989 Mustang

Today is Friday Foto Finish Fiesta

1989 Mustang

When our son was about 17, he talked us into buying him a 1989 Mustang. Why we bought a kid a car like this I can't really say, other than this was a way cool car and his Dad and I love Mustangs and it did sound good rumbling down the road. Guess that lead to a laps in parenting skills.



It had a 4 speed transmission with a short throw shifter (Don't ask me details about this, all I know was it was hard to change gears.) And a racing clutch (Again it was hard to press in the clutch and killed my knee to drive it.) It also had a roll bar and a blaring speaker system.

And did I mention how good the engine sounded?



He had this car for about six months when he was driving in a misting rain and discovered how difficult it can be to control a powerful car, especially when the roads are a bit wet. He came home rather shaken up, and was very lucky he didn't wreck but he wouldn't drive it in the rain any more. I rode in the back seat once. I repeat, one time I climbed into the back seat. I thought they were going to have to get a crane to get me extracted from the car. Needless to say I didn't make a graceful exit.



These are the pictures he took as he detailed it getting ready to sell. I still love Mustangs and wonder what ever happened to this beauty.


But frankly, as much as I love Mustangs I am very glad he sold it. I slept much better knowing he wasn't driving it any more.

Like what we're doing and want to join in? Head on over to Candid Carrie's and tell her you want to be a part of the Friday Foto Finish Fiesta group. Tell her Debbie with Just Some Random Thoughts sent you!

18 comments:

  1. What a mature kid to realize the car might be a little too powerful for him at this point!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of those kids today don't care they just care that it goes fast and looks cool. I agree with kelly that your son sound totally mature to relize that. My son isn't driving yet and don't look forward to that day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is great that your son was able to walk away from a scary situation with a sensible lesson to take with him. I know you are proud.
    Found you on Candid Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Thank God! I thought that this story was going to end very badly. I am glad to hear that it didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh, first cars. Mine was a '62 Chevy Impala. No worries about it skidding in the rain! Way easy to get in and out of the back seat too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always loved Mustangs and once my kids are growna dn gone I will have one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yup, scary. Thank goodness he was smart about it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe he wants to buy my son's car. The one in my Candid Carrie post:-) It will only go as fast as he can pedal...lol!

    In all seriousness, that is a very mature thing for a kid to do. Kudos to you for raising a sensible kid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice car, but I'm glad he decided it was alittle to much for him right now..

    A friend of mine had a Mustang. I hated climbing in and out of that thing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Kelly,Anissa and Teri I thought he showed remarkable maturity. His next car wasn't nearly as cool. A Mercury Marquis. Still a V8 engine but not early as fast or dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Susie, the year he gave up this car there were several teens killed in car wrecks. I was very relieved to see that car go to another owner.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lori and Jwilson, He does have a good story about a "First Car." Mine was a Dodge Dart. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. But...I understand loving a mustang! My son also wanted one but it just never worked out that we found one that was the right this or that or price. I can't say I wasn't relieved!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't believe he gave that up! wow! I'm shocked...don't know what else to say?

    But there is never a better lesson then a real life experience...as long as you don't get hurt in the process!

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ronda's rants My husband and I have had several Mustangs over the course of our marriage. That one was the most souped up, but I loved everyone. I'm so very tempted to get one of the new models, but at this time in my life it just is not practical. But then when is love practical....

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Shelle, We had a very long talk with him and while he didn't / wouldn't go into details, I could see he was very shaken up over what happened that night. I'm very proud that he didn't let his male pride get in the way of his common sense. He has become a wonderful man. Dad and I are very proud of him.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lapse in parenthood? I think not. Sounds like you made a good choice and so did he when he realized the car was too much for him. It takes a wonderful parent to allow their children to come to such conclusions on their own. He's also lucky to have parents like you who could afford him the opportunity to make such a decision. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. Means a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you Nichole. I've often wondered if we should have bought that car in the first place, but ultimately, I think we allowed him to get that out of his system and he was able to move on.

    I enjoyed your blog and the great pictures you posted. I will visit again.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I'd love to hear from you.