Saturday, August 16, 2008

Coconut Macaroons from The Barefoot Contessa

I belong to my church's hospitality ministry and every seven weeks it's my teams turn to provide refreshments for the hospitality room. This is our week. The last two times, I've made The Pioneer Woman's Oatmeal Cookies . I thought it was time to take something different. In surveying my pantry, I found a bag of shredded coconut and thought I'd give coconut macaroons a try. Now I've only made them one other time before and I'm not quite sure what I did wrong but instead of little haystack mounds I had a pan of something similar to a coconut brittle. Everything ran together and it was a mess. Now it tasted OK but the presentation was nothing like a traditional macaroon.

In my search for a fail proof recipe, I went to The Food Network. I quickly found a recipe from Ina Garten the Barefoot Contessa. I had all the ingredients so that settled it.

Coconut, Sweetened Condensed Milk, Vanilla, salt and egg whites, is all that is needed. I did add a half teaspoon of almond flavoring as a personal preference. The recipe yields about 20 cookies. The only other difference I found was in the cooking time. The recipe calls for 25 - 30 minutes, my oven cooks a bit hot so I only cooked them 18 - 20 minutes.

Hubs and I liked them and there were enough to take a dozen to church and some to keep at home. Yum.


Later
D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I'd love to hear from you.