I didn't have fresh tomatoes so I substituted canned diced tomatoes and they worked rather well.
Here is what you need:
- 15 oz canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 oz canned yellow corn, drained and rinsed (The recipe called for 12 oz, but that seemed like too much so I cut it in half and used the other 6 oz as a side dish.)
- 2 cans diced tomatoes, drained and rinsed (use fresh when in season)
- 1 small onion, Chopped fine (It called for red onions but any onion will work.)
- 1 tsp lime zest (This was not on the original recipe, but it seemed a shame to waste the zest.)
- 1/4 cup(s) fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
Place all in a bowl.
Add cumin and mix
Zest the lime and add to the bowl
Juice the lime and add to the bowl
Mix and allow to set so the flavors will blend.
I used this as my main dish just because it tasted so good, but it is actually a great salsa with chips or baked pita chips. We are invited to a get together this afternoon and I'm thinking I might just make this to take with us. Tortilla chips, a little sour cream on the side and this salsa. Sounds like a party to me. I'm hungry already.
PS: If you are on Weight Watchers 1/2 cup = 2 points. But don't forget the chips and sour cream count separate.