Monday, June 23, 2008

Goodbye to the Pool

When we bought our house, one of the features I loved was the pool. I envisioned sitting pool side drinking iced tea, while our son and his friends played and swam in the pool. All that happened, but it is now 10 years and a Rotator cuff surgery later and I've had it with the pool. I'm tired of digging dead frogs and snakes out of the skimmer. Tired of mixing and adding chemicals. Tired of the time it takes to keep it clean and the cost. In our region of the US we have been in a serious drought for several years so we haven't even opened it for two years. So instead of working to keep the water clear, we worked to keep dead leaves off the cover and to remove any water that does collect before mosquitoes lay eggs. We are also in an area where West Nile Virus shows up in the warm, hot summer months, adding that worry to being outside after dark. We finally drained the pool. I just want the thing GONE! I want a yard not a whole in the ground.

This past weekend we talked to a contractor about filling in the pool. He is going to come out and give us an estimate on how much it will cost, how long it will take and how much dirt will have to be hauled in. I have decided to keep a record of the project and thought it would be interesting to see the before and after pictures.

I'll look up pictures of the pool when we were using it and post some now photos too. It should be interesting to see how things progress.

2 comments:

  1. I've always wanted a pool - but I know that they are hard work! I grew up at the neighborhood pool, my dad was always the pool manager (summer job - to his full time teaching job) and he loved cleaning the pool and everything. I think if we had the money he would have put one in our backyard in a hearbeat. But se-la-vi.

    Did you at least get a FEW years of enjoyment out of it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Rebecca Thanks for dropping by. The pool was beautiful and lots of fun when our son was young. But with my shoulder problem and our son no longer at home, it's just too much to deal with. So what we're hoping for is to keep the concrete deck and just have grass in the middle. It think it will look beautiful and I won't have to worry about our soon to be born grand baby when he/she starts walking.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I'd love to hear from you.