Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother-in-Law


Often we hear jokes about horrible mother-in-laws. Well, my mother-in-law breaks the rule of that old joke. She has always treated me with love and respect. She has been kind, truthful and even tough when she needed to be. She has been a wonderful role model for me now that I am a mother-in-law.

We lost my father-in-law in January of this year. He had been sick for a long time, and finally had to be moved to a nursing home when she could no longer take care of him at home. She spent her days sitting with him and making sure he was treated well and had everything he needed. Her days were long and we worried about her health too.

Spending such long hours at the nursing home was taking a toll on her. She looked tired and drawn. We worried how she would handle loosing him, but she is some lady. Of course she grieved, but she has picked up her life and is doing things she hasn't had a chance to do for a long time. Recently she spent two weeks in the mountains with her daughter. Just last week, she went to the circus her other daughter. Tonight we had a wonderful dinner to celebrate Mother's Day with her.

I think a big part of her secret is she doesn't focus on herself. She calls to check on us, to see how we are doing. She doesn't sit at home waiting on something to happen in her life. She faces life as an adventure and looks forward to the ride.

I hope the same can be said about me.

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there, and to my mother-in-law and mom, "I love you."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I'd love to hear from you.