Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Chinese Evergreen

I tend to have houseplants that thrive on neglect. I just don't seem to be able to remember to re-pot, trim or prune, let alone water my plants. I would have thought that all my plants would be dead by now, but I've discovered several plants that can tolerate my brand of care, Chinese Evergeens. There are two versions that I've collected over the years. I started when I saw the lady that took care of the plants in our office trimming and cutting these plants. I asked what they did with the cuttings and she said they were thrown into the trash. I asked for some and the rest is history.

They don't require a lot of light. They can survive not being watered for a week at a time when we've been out of town.

It appears when they become root bound they also will bloom. I've had this plant for several years and only in the last couple of years has it bloomed.

If you are considering taking the plunge into house plants I'd recommend this plant as a hearty plant that can thrive without a lot of hands on care. A little water and not much more is all it takes.


NOTE: If you have small children or pets be aware this plant is poisonous so keep it out of reach.

http://www.plant-care.com/chinese-evergreen-aglaonema-care.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aglaonema
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I'd love to hear from you.