Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Homemade Window Cleaner using Vinegar

I try to save money everywhere I can. I also like to be "green" if possible. Recently I've begun researching recipes for cleaning products that I can make at home.

I decided to start with Window Cleaner. I found a recipe that works well but contains ammonia and I'd rather not use it because of the strong smell. I found several recipes that contain vinegar. I know vinegar can be used as a disinfectant so this seemed like the place to start.

Window Cleaner #1:
6 teaspoons of vinegar
1/2 teaspoons liquid dish soap
2 to 3 cups of water
A spray bottle
Combine the ingredients and pour into the spray bottle.

Window Cleaner #2:
Make a great all-purpose window cleaner by combining:
1/4 cup vinegar
1/2 teaspoon liquid soap or detergent
2 cups of water in a spray bottle.
Combine in a spray bottle. Shake to blend

Window Cleaner #3:
1 cup rubbing alcohol
1 cup water
1 tablespoon vinegar

Using isopropyl alcohol and white vinegar together makes a quickly evaporating spray glass and mirror cleaner that competes with national brands. This can also be used to give a nice shine to hard tiles, chrome, and other surfaces.

Spray on your windows and wipe. (the same as you would a regular brand)


I recommend white vinegar for all recipes.

If you try one of these recipes, I'd be interested to know what you think and which one you like best. My personal preference is recipe #3. It doesn't foam and I think is easier to remove from the glass surface.


Later
D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I'd love to hear from you.